Welcome to my blog! Be sure to become a follower:)

Read & Look here for sneak-peaks and stories from my latest shoots!

Like me

About me....I guess it was time:)

Her clients will tell you again and again, “trust your photographer!” But first, why not get to know her?
Meet Trisha Fiddler-Poitras, owner and photographer of Live Love Laugh Photography. Trisha is known not only for her gorgeous, clear photography, but also for her outgoing, easy-going nature that puts clients at ease. After our three-hour “interview,” (that was more of a girlish chat about our babies, husbands and social lives) I can certainly testify to her friendly, comforting disposition!
Katie Bickell, Young Mum Freelance: Tell me, Trisha, what made you decide to pursue a career in photography?
Trisha Poitras, Live Love Laugh Photography: “I’ve always been, or wanted to be, an artist. I loved art classes in high school and always earned highest achievement awards in the subject. However, I’ve also always been realistic, and so I became a nurse in order to support myself financially.”


“After starting a family with my husband, Curtis, I was introduced to the world of photography when I had a photographer take professional shots of our children. It was exciting watching the photographer work; I really wanted to try taking the photos of my children myself.”
“So I bought a Canon Mark II 5D, and took several courses such as Canon’s Learn Your Camera, General Digital Photography (through Northern Lakes College), Photoshop Editing, and courses on lighting, posing, infant and child posing, family posing, and wedding posing. I fell in love with the whole process.”
“Some of the most beneficial courses I’ve taken have been done through workshops with those who I consider mentors in the industry. I’ve been teaching myself as I go and gaining a lot of experience. I’ve now reached a place in my career where I feel confident in my expertise in photography and editing, but it’s so important to keep learning.”
K.B: What inspires you most during your photo shoots?


Trisha: “At first I was all about the subject and the props, I liked to have “themed” shoots with lots of detail. Now I realize that less is more. Light and a subject’s connection to the camera really inspire me. I love the morning light, the evening light, eyes peering deep into the camera, a darting look - I love that. Great style inspires me, and people who want, who enjoy having their photo taken. Vintage details inspire me, and of course, shoes!”
K.B: Do you have a signature style?
Trisha: “My style is very vintage, very country right now. That’s quite popular. But style is always evolving; pearls and ribbon are “in” now, but when leather’s back I might find myself shooting against concrete walls and brick more often rather than in meadows, fields and rivers.”
K.B: What do you consider your biggest challenges in the photography field?
Trisha: “Honestly, clients who come in with too clear an idea of what they want. Most people need at least a little direction and they should open to that. When a client comes in, trusts me and has fun, the whole shoot is more organic and natural – that’s when the photos really turn out beautifully. Another challenge is how fast the industry moves; I challenge myself to keep up to date with the newest technology, the styles, the research, and to always be learning the newest in editing. And, of course, balancing business and family can be difficult.”
K.B: That does sound like a challenge! What aspects of photography are the most rewarding or fulfilling to you?
Trisha: “It’s a silly thing, but it’s so flattering to see that over 70% of my clients profile pictures were taken by me! I feel the same when I go into a client’s home and see my photos on their walls, or see them sent out as Christmas cards. It can be a lot of pressure, but being hired to capture those once in a lifetime engagement, newborn, or wedding shoots, knowing that someone trusts you to capture those special days is so humbling, and such an honour. Or seeing a groom right before the ceremony, when he’s nervous and excited; looking into a bride’s eyes on her wedding day, witnessing all that love, that beauty. It’s like a backstage pass to their relationship for the day! And how many people other than a mother have the privilege of getting so close to a little, naked, unique new baby, posed in an adorable position? I see looks that usually only the mother would. And I love my clients, I love making people are so happy and positive. I love that I get to do what I love!”


K.B: What should your clients know about you?
Trisha: “I’m very easy to work with and friendly. I try to find fun ways for people to have fun on their shoots. I hope the shoots are memorable for my clients. I don’t “pose” my clients, but I do pay attention to detail and help them position themselves. Most couples want direction and are uncomfortable with posing themselves. An hour and a half before sunset is my favourite light. I’m prompt and I’m on time, so I expect others to be on time as well. Also, be open to relocating! I love finding really beautiful, unique places to shoot - find me an old farmyard and I’m a happy girl!”
K.B: Can you tell us some things we might not guess about you?
Trisha: “Hmm…I sneak into the kitchen for midnight snacks. I faint a lot. I like to believe that I have a naturally blonde hair (its actually mousy brown). I have two kids who don’t like to be photographed (if you see photos of my daughter, a new bike was probably involved) and my husband doesn’t like to have his photo taken either. I do though, and Curtis says whenever I see a camera I instantly “model cross” my legs. He says whenever my girlfriends and I see a camera it’s like “ding!” all the legs cross to make us look slimmer! (Laughing). Also I adore my husband. He thinks he’s really tough but Curtis is actually very sentimental. I find it really funny how something sad that might bring tears to normal person’s eyes doesn’t make him flinch, but his eyes will tear up at an Oiler’s game when the crowd sings “Oh Canada.” He gets misty at weddings, at big wins; during the Olympics you might find he’ll disappear to a corner and wipe a few tears. (More laughter). That’s about it I guess. Really, I’m just a girl who loves to take pictures!”
If you would like to hire Trisha’s Live Love Laugh Photography, please call……. 780.849.5875

Post by LLL's in-house writer Katie Bickell
of Young Mum Freelance Writing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

search by month: